Saturday 9 November 2013

Film/Live Performance Review: Let's Go Adventure (15) (Director: Douglas King), The Filmhouse Cinema Screen One, Edinburgh, Wednesday 06.11.2013, 21:00

This was originally meant to be held in Screen Two. I was delighted on the night to see it had been moved to the cinema's biggest screen, Screen One.

This was a screening of two short films co-written by and starring Josie Long. For the uninitiated Josie is one of my favorite comedians and further back in my blog you can find a review of a performance of hers on Tuesday 14.08.2012.

The short films are called 'Let's Go Swimming' & 'Romance and Adventure'. Both are set in Glasgow, a place Josie acknowledges she idealises. The first is tinged by a melancholic pathos, and the second is a very enjoyable tale of flatmates who are best buddies with an unspoken love of each other.

Josie also complemented the short-films by doing a spot of stand-up comedy between the two films. This was a pleasant surprise as was not part of the advertised details. This enabled a very nice balance by presenting what she is venturing into alongside what she is known for and more practiced in.

The films themselves were very enjoyable, and they do not appear vanity projects in any way. Josie along with the same director and actors already used in these shorts, are now venturing into making a feature length thing which I look forward to.

Josie and the director also did a Q&A after the two films were screened. This though really is mere detail. Josie is someone who I find reassuringly intelligent, and whom I feel has such a vivacious and effervescent character, I know I have a massive grin on my face as soon as she appears on stage.

It was an absolute joy to see Josie again. I felt spoiled getting to both see her in 'films' and perform live.

Rating: 09/10.

(+ I got to meet Josie afterwards).      

No comments:

Post a Comment