Sunday 8 September 2013

Film Review: Upstream Color (12A) (U.S.A. 2013) (Director: Shane Carruth) Sunday 08.09.2013 13:30 The Filmhouse Cinema Screen Two, Edinburgh 

I went to see this as it appeared to be getting near universally high praise and comment suggested it was visually striking. 

I found it to be very disappointing, impossible to follow what was happening and only very occasionally visually impressive. Despite this I did have a sense that the film did have a sense of what it was trying to convey, though sadly it alludes me as to what that may be. 

I also find it very hard to comment on the acting, and I feel this to be due to how difficult it was to follow. There were also elements left without explanation, such as why the central couple developed such a bond so quickly which appeared unsatisfactory.      

I did not find it annoying despite its slow pace and impenetrable nature, & not once did I consider leaving. With what I've said it will come as no surprise that I cannot rate this well. 

Rating: 02/10.  

No comments:

Post a Comment