Tuesday 2 July 2013

Live Performance Review: Dead Can Dance, Zenith de Paris - Park De La Villette, Paris, Sunday 30.06.2013, 19:30 (Support:David Kuckhermann)

When I ordered my ticket for this, it stated that I was in section U, which made me think I was going to be quite far back in this 6,000 capacity venue. It turned out I was in row 10 of the front section and I had a very good view. 

The support from David Kuckhermann (a member of Dead Can Dance's touring musicians) was very pleasant, to the extent that I have already tried to find recordings of this guy. He mostly played this 'flying saucer shaped' instrument, of which there were three, each made to produce differing scales & by varying ways of striking these metal objects he was able to get a plethora of differing sounds. There was a hypnotic quality to this. He played four pieces on this instrument and for one of them he was joined by a female French friend who sang in a north Indian style, this was very good. One piece was played on tambourine, and ably demonstrated that it is all to do with how you play it. 

Dead Can Dance, who I have wanted to see for 17 years and now it finally happens, performed for approx 1 Hour & 45 Minutes. The sound was nicely balanced and at a pleasant level. The lighting was striking and in ways quite beautiful to the extent that I was conscious at the time of being quite moved by it. The set list was also a good balance of the new album and older material. Without checking the review I did last year of their most recent album, Anastasis, I am fairly sure I made comment to the effect that Brendan Perry's vocals have definitely improved from when Dead Can Dance were previously active (up to 1996) and this is now also reinforced by the performance. The backing musicians were all very able and melded well with Brendan & Lisa Gerrard. The percussion was particularly notable.  

As is the way with Dead Can Dance, Lisa & Brendan shared lead vocals fairly evenly. There were various times when Lisa Gerrard was singing that I had the big four happen. The big four is the term I have come to use for myself as shorthand for the most extreme way I am aware of being moved by live music. Presently this includes, goosebumps, tears, body vibrating & sight being temporarily affected. I was having all of this happen within the space of about a minute, on various occasions while she sang. I have had other singers cause me to experience three of the big four, though no other singer has caused me to experience all four. Quite remarkable and dumbfoundingly transfixing. Also Dead Can Dance, and Lisa in particular make producing this sound of stunning beauty appear effortless. Lisa also has a grace about her including minimal movement which combined along her angular features give her a beguiling statuesque quality. 

The Parisian audience were very respectful while pieces were being performed, though between pieces there was a definite lack of reserve in their showing of appreciation. I don't think I've ever heard louder applause when it came to getting them back on for an encore. I found the performance quite emotional and by the end was entirely satisfied and quite drained. 

The affect was to the extent that I have been contemplating whether I can give the performance a rating. The answer has landed up being no. This is the third performance I have reviewed where I don't think I can justify a rating, the performance was beyond such means of measuring. Needless to say, if I got the opportunity again to see them, I would not have to give a moments thought. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete