Sunday 21 July 2013

Film Review: Frances Ha (15), (U.S.A. 2012) (Director: Noah Baumbach), Sunday 21.07.2013 11:00, The Cameo Cinema, Screen One, Edinburgh & Saturday 04.01.2014 21:00 Screen Two, The Filmhouse, Edinburgh

This was a preview screening free to 'Cameo Members'. The film is not released in the U.K. until Friday 26.07.2013.

I was intrigued by this film for several reasons including, the lead actress, Greta Gerwig, is a favorite of a friend of mine. The film and lead actress are the cover focus of the current issue of (The British Film Institute's) Sight & Sound - the only British based 'quality' monthly publication about any strain of popular culture. When in Paris recently, the underground was plastered in posters for this 'arthouse' film and I was surprised by the scale of publicity it was getting. Finally I recently watched 'Greenberg' (2010) on T.V.. I was aware of it at the time of cinema release though it contains Ben Stiller who I usually cannot abide, so there was no chance I would go to see this at the cinema. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I was aware it was by Baumbach and is the first film where he worked with Gerwig. After this, I thought to myself I must see 'Frances Ha' when it is released, and then lo and behold I get to see it for free.

The film is all about the central character of Frances, played by Gerwig. The character is 27 and at the point of redefining herself as a separate entity to those she has clung to until then. Her work with a dance company becomes disrupted, and her flatmate moves in with her boyfriend and then away, so Frances has to adapt. Frances comes across as a friendly character who is trying to understand the world and her place in it. There are toe-dippings into other directions along with acts of denial before tentative steps.

The film, who's script was written by Baumbach & Gerwig, has been described as a showcase for Gerwig's acting ability, and I feel it is easy to see why. It appears that Gerwig fits the character in a very easy and beguiling way. There is a realness to the portrayal with elements of 'just being', awkward kookiness and carefree exuberance, that I found arrestingly beautiful. Frances is one of the most attractive film characters I've seen.

The film is presented in high contrast black and white and has a beautiful still calmness to the images that is striking. The film is quite gentle with a languid pace, though it does deal in honest and subtle ways with difficult happenings. The film is unfussy and confident as well as funny in an unforced 'lived-in' way. It is layered and thoughtful, in a way that I am finding myself going over elements of the film, in a manner that suggests to myself that I will cogitate on this one for some time to come.

This is very rewarding film and I am very pleased I missed having a lie in this morning to go and see this. As you can tell, this is a film I would greatly recommend, and I would also go so far as to say that it ties with another film (Stoker) for being the best film of the year so far. I feel enriched, the mark of a quality film; if others don't get it, they are wrong (Ha!).

Rating: 10/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment