Sunday 2 December 2012


Live Performance Review: Evan Dando & Juliana Hatfield, Saturday 01.12.2012, 19:00, SWG3, Glasgow

For those who don't know, Evan was the lead singer and songwriter of The Lemonheads & Juliana was part of the 'heads' lineup that recorded the classic album 'It's a shame about Ray', and a recording artist in her own right.

There was a local group in the support slot whose name I don't know. They were dumbfounding in how stunningly awful they were. They consisted of four pubescent girls and someone who may well have been a father of one of the girls.

Evan & Juliana performed together with him on acoustic and her electric guitar. They tended to take it turn about singing a song of his, followed by a song of hers etc. Some of Juliana's songs were quite pleasant, though it was clear as to who the crowd including myself were there for.

I think for Evan to perform his songs on acoustic guitar makes it a lot easier to appreciate the gentle timbre of his voice, and it is certainly how I prefer to hear his songs performed. Some songs were performed that I was not familiar with, though there were enough that I fondly remember from earlier years, and it is always nice to hear such songs sung back by the audience in a sing-alonga stylie.

To tempt me to return to see him again (this was my third time), Even would now have to do a solo acoustic set; there were just too many songs not included, which may have been had he had the slot to himself. Enjoyable, though by no means great.

Rating: 06/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment