Sunday 2 December 2012


Film Review: Amour (12A), (Austria/France/Germany 2012) (French and English with English Subtitles) (Director: Michael Haneke), Sunday 02.12.2012 15:40, The Filmhouse, Screen Three, Edinburgh

This is a film I was not sure about before hand. Despite the fawning that Haneke receives, I find his films can be hit and miss with me. I have a tendency to also see his films as having a coldness to them.

The film documents a period of life for an elderly Parisian couple. The period covers the wife of the couple experiencing strokes followed by cognitive and physical decline to the inevitable end (though the way it is delivered is anything but inevitable). I found the film to have a warmth without being sentimental. I also found it heartening to see what I would regard as an overly pushy daughter being met by resistance from her father in regard to her mother's care. It was also refreshing to see someone in this role stating a wish not to be treated like an idiot by his daughter - how often do we know of older adults becoming submissive to the ways and whims of the most dominant children.

It is one of these films were some would watch and say nothing happens, though the expressive detail between the lead couple is compelling; the film is full of little details that add depth. This is quite probably the Haneke film that I have seen that I have been most impressed with and enjoyed the most. It strikes me as a brave film, as it is so rare to see such a raw depiction of of the decline that can be experienced in and older persons path to death. The fact that it is so rare, may be a shame, though it is not surprising, as the demise of the elderly is not a common root for entertainment, for reasons that hardly need to be discussed. Haneke is very good at observation, and tends to enable portrayal of characters with a high degree of clarity and honesty in regard to internal conflict, which works perfectly with the situation this films deals with. The films treats older adults with respect and humanity.

I would not recommend this to all as reckon some would just not get it and I don't think I would class it as entertainment. Though without hesitation I would say it is flawless and engrossing.    

Rating: 10/10.
-----------------

2012: Twelve Flawless Films To Date In Order Of Release:
  1. Magic Trip (Documentary)
  2. Once Upon A Time In Anatolia (Turkish) 
  3. Goodbye First Love (French)
  4. The Dark Knight Rises
  5. Searching For Sugar Man (Documentary) 
  6. Anna Karenina
  7. About Elly (Iranian) 
  8. Tabu (Portuguese)
  9. Frankenweenie
  10. Skyfall  
  11. Amour (French)
  12. The Hunt (Danish) 


No comments:

Post a Comment