Monday 7 September 2015

Live Performance Review: Laura Marling, Saturday 05.09.2015 19:00, The Forum, Kentish Town, London

THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. FOR REASONING AS TO WHY, SEE THE ENTRY FOR LAURA'S GLASGOW CONCERT ON 25.04.2015.

I indulged myself with the treat of going to this with the reasoning of it being a way of marking a major development in my life. 

This was a special one-off concert which is not part of the touring schedule for most recent album, 'Short Movie' (2015). Due to this I was expecting something a bit different and I was not disappointed. I was in the middle of the front row being treated to a selection drawing from all five of her albums, plus a cover of a Dolly Parton song. 

The performance also included a couple of songs I was keen to hear live though had not heard her perform before, namely 'Once' ('Once I Was An Eagle' 2013) and 'My Manic And I' ('Alas I Cannot Swim' 2008). She was also reworking older songs such as 'Devil's Spoke' ('I Speak Because I Can') in forms I had not heard before, though which worked well and had clearly been carefully considered. 

There was also older songs presented in familiar form such as 'Goodbye England (Covered in Snow)' & 'What He Wrote' (Both from 'I Speak Because I Can' 2010). From what I recall, these songs have been played at most of the performances I have seen her do. I know that 'Goodbye... is one of her favourites which I find very pleasing, though 'What He... is one of my favourites and always beautiful to hear. 

The crowd were crazily enthusiastic and parts of the concert were like a mass sing-along, which was lovely to be a part of. The venue was not particularly big, I would estimate about halfway between the size of the Picturehouse (which used to be in Lothian Road in Edinburgh) and the Academy in Glasgow. A good size of room for harnessing the enthusiasm of her devoted followers. 

So my favourite living musician has again put on a great show. That's now nine times I have seen her perform and I have never yet been disappointed. I now look forward with anticipation and intrigue for her next Long Player. Fabby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment