Friday 14 August 2015

Live Performance Review: Antigone Produced By the Barbican and Les Theatres de La Ville de Luxembourg (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2015), Wednesday 12.08.2014 19:30, King's Theatre, Edinburgh

The tickets for this went on sale early, in the autumn of last year. I got my ticket with no knowledge of the play and this was solely due to it staring Julliette Binoche in the lead role. 

I found the story dense though engaging enough and the acting was solid across the board. I also appreciated the minimalist set and being a fan of the Velvet Underground, I greatly enjoyed the fact that the play closed to the strains of their classic 'Heroin'. 

I was delighted to see Julliette Binoche performing live, she did not disappoint. Even though everyone else's acting was perfectly watchable, I did feel she was a notch up on the rest. There was greater range and subtlety to her performance. Her dialogue feeling fully lived in and physical expression strangely genuine. I feel that she generally appeared to inhabit her role to a greater degree. 

She has been one of my favoured actresses for coming on 20 years, and I feel this performance exemplifies why she is regarded as one of the best actresses presently working. A heavy-going piece made a treat by Binoche's superb turn.     

Rating: 10/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment