Wednesday 26 March 2014

Film Review: Under The Skin (15) (U.K. 2013) (Director: Johnathan Glazer), The Cameo Cinema Screen Two, Edinburgh, Wednesday 19.03.2014, 25:30

This is the film where Scarlett Johansson plays an unnamed alien interacting with locals in Glasgow & exploring the West Coast of Scotland. 

The film has passages that are striking in terms of its sound and visuals. It is a subtle film which benefits from concentration. I would say there are sections which are quite interpretive, other sections which appear quite clear, and further sections which feel beyond understanding and which work solely in an aesthetic way. I would say that the film concerns themes of consumption, assimilation, development of emotion and compassion. 

I feel it adds nothing to know that some of the interactions with locals were 'for real', with their consent being got afterwards to enable use in the film. I found myself recognizing parts of the setting as have lived in Glasgow for periods, and I don't know if this took me 'out of' being able to see the environment as alien, and how the environment it is set in would have added to such a sense for those who don't know Glasgow as well as I do.      

There have been reviews claiming this to be a masterpiece and other reviews have been damming. I don't sit at either extreme. I feel the films pacing is a bit slow in parts and none of the film feels to be a revelation. I feel this was an intriguing film which may well reward further viewings, though I don't feel it would be fair to think of this as flawless. 

Rating: 07/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment