Monday 10 February 2014

Live Performance Review: Bill Callahan, O2 ABC, Glasgow, Saturday 01.02.2014, 18:30

This is an artist who used to go by the name of 'Smog'. It was as Smog that I first heard him on the soundtrack to the film 'Dead Man's Shoes' (2004).

The music to this film I was particularly impressed by. It was via this that I also first heard 'M. Ward', who I have now twice seen perform, and the 'Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir', who gave one of the very best performances last year. The song by Smog on was my other favorite music piece on the film and was called 'Vessel in Vain' from the album 'Supper' (2003).

The music began at 19:15 with two supports. Firstly 'The Deep Dark Woods' from Canada, who I found to be a tad strained, and by this a bit overly contrived. There was also very little diversity in the music they were playing. Not to be recommended.

The second support, Cath & Phil Tyler (Local), was so bad that it literally felt torturous. It was so woefully bad, that the organisers allowing them to play, felt like a grand  'care in the community' type gesture. Her face was so distorted while trying to do the singing, that it looked as though she was also in pain. I only mention their name as a form of public service, please never put yourself though the experience of having to listen to these chancers; I went through it so you don't have to. Don't think for one moment I am joking, I have in the past, seen a support so bad though funny that my side was still sore two days later. This is far removed from that delight, of sorts.  

So to the Man himself. He performed with three musicians. All of the music while Bill performed, was certainly of a far higher standard. The performance was for approx 90 min. The sound in the hall was a bit odd. Bill's vocals sounded distorted in the first song, and the bass was sadly too high in the levels for most of the performance. The performance was also pretty-much of the same tempo throughout, except in the section where he played songs from the 'Apocalypse' (2011) album.

In the Apocalypse section, the music was of a more up-beat tempo and the bass appeared to far better placed in the mix. The songs from this section I feel were the best part and it is a shame there was not more of the performance of this ilk.

Despite most of the performance being down tempo, I still greatly enjoyed Bill's performance. A friend who was also present and who had seen him before, said there was certainly more variety in the set when he previously saw him.

I feel as though I came away from the night, abused by the supports and then mellowed by Bill. I would be up for seeing Bill again, though I would prefer it to be without the banner of Celtic Connections next time as then I would be assured of not having such (Local) support acts again.

Rating: 08/10.    

No comments:

Post a Comment