Thursday 9 May 2013


Live Performance Review: Derren Brown: Infamous, Monday 06.05.2013, 20:00, The Playhouse, Edinburgh

This was the third time I have been to see Derren perform. I went to performances of his last two tours 'Enigma' & 'Svengali', both of which I greatly enjoyed, though they were not as good as this one.

This is a very difficult review to write, as Derren requests (+ I would only feel it to be fair anyway) that the contents of the show is not revealed, so as not to spoil it for any one else going to see it.

Derren is a master of understanding the minutiae of communication, enabling being able to grasp what someone is thinking without their speaking, as well as using this to manipulate and communicate to get people to respond in a way that he wishes. The abilities he has developed and his quest to do so, I feel serves as an example as to the what it is possible to do with the mind.

For most of the second half I was sat gawping. There were feats he was demonstrating/performing that were just beyond comprehension, one after another, building to a crushendo at the end where he had multiple challenges he was to manage in a count-down from eight minutes. I feel there is something admirable about such open unabashed displays of such extreme idiosyncratic geekeshness.

I feel it is difficult to explain the attraction to others who have not seen him perform. Derren is a case where I feel that to be able to grasp the wonder of what he does, you have to have seen him. A fascinating performer and man who I would happily watch for hours on end.

Rating: 10/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment