Sunday 28 April 2013


Film Review: I'm So Excited (15), (Spain 2013) (Director: Pedro Almodovar) (Spanish with English Subtitles), Tuesday 23.04.2013 18:30, The Cameo Cinema, Screen One, Edinburgh

This was a premiere screening with a satellite Q&A with Pedro after the film. The film is not released until 03.05.2013. I had no hesitation in booking for this as Pedro is my favorite director by some margin. The film is a screwball comedy; the sort of film he first became known for in the 80's, though has not done since 'Woman On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown' (1988).

The film centres around a doomed flight from Spain to Mexico and the individual situations of those on the flight. The film is flamboyant, controlled camp and quite outrageous. As with all of Almodovar's films the dialogue and plotting are such that there is no mistaking this as the work of anyone else. This is Pedro's 19th film, and although I do not feel it to be quite up there with his best work (What Have I Done To Deserve This? (1984), Matador (1986), All About My Mother (1999), Talk To Her (2002), Volver (2006) & The Skin I Live In (2011)), it is still a highly entertaining romp.

There is also underlying similarities to the passenger's situations which is not immediately apparent, and I understand the film to be an allegory of the current situation Spain finds itself in. As with all of Almodovar's work there are developments in the story that are not just at the surface level. Having said this, I would not say the film is particularly deep, though it certainly offers a lot for a comedy (a genre oft guilty of remaining at surface level). A greatly enjoyable watch.

Rating: 08/10.   

No comments:

Post a Comment